Saturday, July 13, 2013

Slow Mo Discombobulate

I'm a movie geek. Some people love to curl up to a good book, but for my lack of literacy (dyslexia) I prefer cinema. I'm very picky about the movies I watch, because I bore easily.

I can't say that for Sherlock Holmes the motion picture. It is rare that I really love a movie and when I do, I research, listen to the soundtrack, find out who was involved, and basically for a time obsess about it.

I especially love the second flick, "Sherlock Holmes; A Game of Shadows". It had a perfect blend of action, effects, humor, and a brilliant story line.

There were many cool slow motion action scenes (I know weird, action with slow mo) which made me explore the style of it, because I've never seen it before. I found out that those amazing scenes in the movie were done by Gavin Free.

Gavin Free is a young British twenty something who worked for a camera leasing company and was allowed to borrow state of the art equipment when it was not in use. He and his friend would do the craziest things in their backyards exploring, experimenting and sharing on YouTube which became a viral sensation.

I find this story so inspirational as a parent. One of the advantages teaching at home is I can encourage my kid's passions. Who knew of Gavin Free's fame just blowing stuff up and capturing it on slow motion film?

Here is a quick documentary of Gavin Free of the Slow Mo Guys.




 Because of Free's fame on YouTube just playing around with popcorn, balloons, and exploding paint cans (I can only imagine what his parents must of thought), his unique style was recognized by big time filmmakers. I never heard of this guy until I watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. This sequence of the Forest Scene just shows Gavin Free's brilliant work.

 

 Watch more videos from the Slow Mo Guys at there YouTube channel HERE