Friday, August 5, 2011

Perfected Tuna Casserole

I'm looking forward to autumn, and since we're on the subject of comfort food, why not add another traditional favorite. I took a little bit of my mom's, my past roommate’s, and my sister's recipes that I've stolen over a 20 year period, and developed the perfect tuna casserole. The gooey melted chucks of Swiss cheese is a twist that I couldn't believe I was missing for so long. I don't put crushed potato chips on mine, but go for it if that's your fancy.

1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles
1 cup cubed Swiss cheese
1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese
 1 cup frozen green peas
2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
1 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon of celery salt

Preparation Instructions


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Bring a large pot of  salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions until al dente; drain.

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix noodles,  1 cup cubed Swiss cheese, peas, tuna, soup, mayonnaise, and celery salt. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish, and top with remaining 1 cup of shredded Swiss cheese.

Cover and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven and remove cover for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.